A Progressive Alamedan

Various writings from a resident of Alameda regarding the political scene. The local perspective of local, state and national politics and a few other odds and ends of local concern. May not be particularly interesting to people outside of the Alameda area.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Bicycling, Scootering, Skateboarding *is* a Crime

I am writing this post to encourage a thorough read of this morning's post on Stop Drop and Roll.

John's write-up just about says it all; I don't know if I do much more than just say "me too." I'm appalled that all five members of our city council: Beverly Johnson, Lena Tam, Gillmore, Frank Matarrese and Doug DeHaan, let something like this through.

I believe that a couple of these council members will be running for mayor in two years. Which one of these council members will stand up and say "Wait a minute, we made a mistake, let's work out a solution to our problem without throwing out the baby with the bath water."

UPDATE: The city council, the following week, reversed this. All is back to normal.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Our city council is BS! I have gotten 2 tickets for riding my bike in the skatepark. BMXers were there everyday helping to build that thing, donating money, and fundraising. Before the Mayro was elected, SHE promised BMXers they would be able to ride in the park. That has yet to happen.
Then these idiots turn around and buy the cops new sports cars and SUVs for no good reason. The city manager and her sickening partner need to start respecting Alamedeans, and stop being money hungry politicos.

7:46 AM  
Blogger Christiaan said...

I love Alameda but sometimes I feel like I live in a police state.

5:21 PM  
Blogger Christiaan said...

An email I received after complaining about the ordinance...
"Dear Mr. Havelaar

The ordinace only places bans on parking facilities.

Parks are still legal for riding unless posted.

Thanks

Frank M.atarrese "

4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home