A Progressive Alamedan

Various writings from a resident of Alameda regarding the political scene. The local perspective of local, state and national politics and a few other odds and ends of local concern. May not be particularly interesting to people outside of the Alameda area.

Friday, January 05, 2007

Please come vote for MEEEE!


As I mentioned just over a month ago, I'm running once again to be a delegate to the California Democratic Party. The state party needs some serious help from active, engaged citizens to stop pandering to big-business interests.

This election looks like it will be quite a race. There are twelve positions available (six men, six women) and, I believe, at least eighteen candidates running, possibly more.

The election process is, to be honest, annoying. Unlike the County Central Committees (another way that citizens can become part of the party), which appeared on your general ballots last June, the delegates are elected by whomever shows up at a particular meeting. That means that the winners will probably be decided by a small handful of votes; the candidates who are able to round up the most allies to come to the meeting are more likely to win.

I am hoping that you, local Democratic reader of this blog, will consider taking a couple of hours out of your afternoon next Sunday to support me and the other active, progressive Democrats who have been working hard to make the world a better place. (I'll have a list of other candidates I'm supporting later, once I get the final list of who has filed.)

It's an interesting feeling - I've been working hard appealing to voters to vote for other people - Howard Dean then John Kerry, Jerry McNerney, Debra Bowen, Sandré Swanson, Frank Matarrese & Lena Tam, and so forth. So now, in this case, I'm campaigning for myself.

This election meeting will be at 2 PM, next Sunday, January 14, 2006, at the Laney College Theater, 900 Fallon St. at 9th St. in Oakland, across from the Lake Merritt BART station. I know, it's off-island; what a hassle! Would you come anyhow?

Note: To vote in this election, you must be a registered Democrat. Also there is a requested five-dollar contribution to cover meeting expenses *cough* poll tax *cough*, but it can be waived if that's a hardship.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home